Monday, January 24, 2011

Ribbon Storage and a TIP!



I have pondered over the different types of ribbon storage for awhile now and have found a system - in fact two systems that works for me. I buy ribbon by the meter, then I roll it onto a embroidery cotton bobbin and put it into the bottle colour coded accordingly. This cubby-hole system came about through one of my DH's "purging the garage" sessions. I had been given a lot of blanks for decoupage by a friend who had emigrated - usual story, I'm a sucker for anything that I 'may' use one day. Well this day dawned. I looked at these tissue box covers and decided that they would hold bottles for my ribbon! So, paint them I did and talked my DH into gluing them together and then mounting them onto the tiniest space between a cupboard and the window in my work room. I have now run out of space and have to have a re think about this method (or stop buying ribbon ????) but for now it works for me. The second one is for rolls of ribbon and again, DH made up this system on the inside of the same cupboard's door. I also have tiger tail and gut I use for beading on the second row and cord for whatever, on the top row. Still some room for more rolls, says she......
NOW A TIP: If you have a system involving winding ribbon, don't you go wild when you need the tiniest bit of ribbon and it has crease marks ??? ... grrrrrr
WELL, go and switch the kettle on and brew a cup of what you fancy and whilst you are waiting, having taken the ribbon with you, hold it over the spout of the kettle, ribbon taught, and move it over the steam coming out of the spout. CAUTION - beware of burning yourself, like moi! Keep the ribbon taut for a few seconds away from the steam and there you have beautifully smooth ribbon, crease free! Beats having to get the iron and board sorted for a little bit of ribbon and you also have a deserved cuppa. Try it!
Hugz
Moz

1 comment:

  1. You are a star Moz. The rolls of ribbon, I have a similar system to yours, but the pieces I buy per metre are a problem. This is the answer. As for getting rid of creases I read to day of someone using a very inexpensive hair straightening tong. So there is another solution. Warm wishes and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. So good to get feed back on my creative endeavours!
Hugz
Moz