Tuesday, December 7, 2010

No Snow for Me!!

I have a huge issue with Christmas cards!
Perhaps age is something to do with it, or the fact that I have lived my whole life in South Africa - except for one Christmas in England when I was a child, and the fact that we do not have snowmen, snow capped fir trees and bob sleighs, fur muffs, 3 meter long scarves, snow boots etc etc.this time of the year! With that in mind, and the fact that we are normally battling temperature's nearing 40 degrees Celsius, where the ice cream melts before you can serve it, icing slides off the cake, cooking a traditional dinner (turkey and all the trimmings, is a human sacrifice, not a labor of love) is as painful as a sauna with the heat turned up to maximum. The sweat runs down you body, your feet slide around in the puddle in your shoes and your temper is rising to meet the temperature. You then walk into the lounge mopping your brow to announce that 'dinner is served' and you walk past the array of Christmas cards with snow men and the likes on them! Grrr....
So, every year I do my best to send cards without the 'snow' connection and was lucky enough to spot this stamp during my web browsing. I coloured the poinsettia with my Faber Castell Polychromos pencils. I then used Distress inks and a sponge to work in the colour onto the scripted background. Using shimmer card stock and these inks give you a lovely soft shimmery look. I then used Glossy accents on the flower and 'believe', mounted it onto gold shimmer board and a split white card. I had found this awesome, cheap velvet ribbon so stuck that down onto the right hand inner of the card and in the centre of the front flap, then adhered the mounted picture on top of the ribbon on the front, centering it in the card, and filled the gap in with bling! My photography leaves something to be desired as this does not do the card justice. Perhaps a suitably clad South African father Christmas will bring me a new camera and a course on how to use it??? I don't think so....
Anyway, this is my card for 2010 and I managed to post them out last week.
Enjoy your week! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Moz, so enjoyed reading your post... you really made me giggle as you've captured a typical South African Christmas perfectly... I love your card, the colouring is fabulous. I could never achieve that perfection with my Faber Castell's...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done, Moz. Your colouring is fab on the poinsettia and ya .... the snowless South African Christmas cards always/sometimes a problem.
    Amelia x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. So good to get feed back on my creative endeavours!
Hugz
Moz